2024 Holiday Calendar for West Bengal Government Employees
Find below the holiday list for the calendar year 2024 for Government employees of West Bengal.
Government of West Bengal
Finance (Audit) Department
325, Sarat Chatterjee Road
|No. 6112-F(P2)||Howrah, the 9th November, 2023|
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(l) dated the 8th June, 1957, the Governor is pleased to declare the days as specified at List I below to be Public Holidays during the year 2024.
2. The Governor is also pleased to notify that the offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the offices of the Registrar of Assurances, Kolkata and Collector of the Stamp Revenue, Kolkata shall be closed on the days as specified at List II below which are not declared to be public holidays, during the year 2024.
3. Further, the Governor is pleased to declare that the days as specified at List III may be observed as Sectional Holidays in the year 2024 for the employees of different communities mentioned against the day.
List-I (Public Holidays in 2024 under the N. I. Act)
|Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda||12th January, Friday|
|Netaji’s Birth Day||23rd January, Tuesday|
|Republic Day||26th January, Friday|
|Saraswati Puja [Sree Panchami]||14th February, Wednesday|
|Doljatra||25th March, Monday|
|Good Friday||29th March, Friday|
|Eid-UI-Fitr||11th April, Thursday|
|May Day||1st May, Wednesday|
|Birth Day of Rabindranath Tagore||8th May, Wednesday|
|Buddha Purnima||23rd May, Thursday|
|Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid)||17th June, Monday|
|Muharram||17th July, Wednesday|
|Independence Day||15th August, Thursday|
|Birth Day of Gandhiji||2nd October, Wednesday|
|Mahalaya||2nd October, Wednesday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Saptami||10th October, Thursday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Astami and Maha Nabami||11th October, Friday|
|(**) Durga Puja, Dasami||12th October, Saturday|
|Lakshmi Puja||16th October, Wednesday|
|Kali Puja||31st October, Thursday|
|Birth Day of Guru Nanak||15th November, Friday|
|Christmas Day||25th December, Wednesday|
|Yearly Closing of Bank Account||1st April (Monday) (for Banks only).|
List-II (Holidays under the order of State Government in 2024)
|New Year’s Day||1st January, Monday|
|Day before Saraswati Puja||13th February, Tuesday|
|Shab-e-Barat||26th February, Monday|
|Shivaratri||8th March, Friday|
|Day after Doljatra||26th March, Tuesday|
|(**) Birth Day of Shri Shri Harichand Thakur (Madhu Krishna Troyodashi Tithi)||6th April, Saturday|
|Day before Eid-UI-Fitr||10th April, Wednesday|
|(**) Birth Day of Poet Bhanu Bhakt for Darjeeling & Kalimpong District only||13th July, Saturday|
|Rakhi Bandhan||19th August, Monday|
|Janmastami||26th August, Monday|
|Fateha-Dwaz-Daham||16th September, Monday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Chaturthi||7th October, Monday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Panchami||8th October, Tuesday|
|Durga Puja, Maha Shashthi||9th October, Wednesday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||14th October, Monday|
|Additional Day for Durga Puja||15th October, Tuesday|
|Additional Day for Lakshmi Puja||17th October, Thursday|
|Additional Day for Lakshmi Puja||18th October, Friday|
|Additional Day for Kali Puja||1st November, Friday|
|Day after Bhratridwitiya||4th November, Monday|
|Chhat Puja||7th November, Thursday|
|Additional Day for Chhat Puja||8th November, Friday|
|Karam Puja||To be notified later on|
(#) Birth Day of Thakur Panchanan Barma falls on 14th February, Wednesday, which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-ll.
(##) Birth Day of Pandit Raghunath Murmu falls on 23rd May, Thursday, which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-ll.
(###) Birth Day of Birsa Munda falls on 15th November, Friday which is a holiday under N.l. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-ll.
(####) Parshwanath’s Rathajatra falls on 15th November, Friday which is a holiday under N. I. Act and therefore has not been shown separately in List-ll.
(#####) This year Doljatra and Holi fall on same day so ‘Holi’ is not shown separately in List II.
List-III (Sectional Holidays in 2024)
|(**) Birthday of Guru Rabidas(for the followers of Guru Rabidas)||24th February, Saturday|
|(**) Easter Saturday||30th March (Saturday) [for Christians only]|
($$) Hul Diwas, Sectional Holiday [for Adivasi (Santhal) only] on 30th June falls on Sunday which is a holiday under N.l. Act & therefore not shown separately in List III.
- Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instrument Act.
- In the year 2024, the following festivals/occasions fall on Sundays which are public Holidays under N. I. Act and hence have not been included in lists:
|i)||Bengali New Year’s Day (Nababarsha)||14th April, Sunday|
|ii)||Birth Day of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar||14th April, Sunday|
|iii)||Mahavir Jayanti||21st April, Sunday|
|iv)||Rathayatra||7th July, Sunday|
|v)||Bhratridwitiya||3rd November, Sunday|
- The holiday with double asterisk marks i.e. (**) is applicable to those Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
- General instructions as laid down hereunder are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday shall be allowed if any of the festival – holidays initially notified subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of Eid-Ul-Fitr, Id-Ud-Zoha, Muharram, Fateha-Dwaz-Daham, Shab-e-Barat depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by a separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for this festival.
3) It may happen that the change of date of above mentioned occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through T.V. / A.I.R. / News Papers and Heads of Department / Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order about the change of date.
By order of the Governor,
Sd/- Dr. Manoj Pant
Additional Chief Secretary to the
Government of West Bengal