List of Holidays for WB Employees 2021
|No. 3100-F(P2)||Howrah, the 5th November, 2020|
In exercise of the power conferred by the explanation to Section 25 of the Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 (XXVI of 1881), read with Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Notification No. 20/25/56-pub(I) dated the 8th June, 1957 the Governor is pleased to declare the days as specified at List I below to be Public Holidays during the year 2021.
2. The Governor is also pleased to notify that the offices under the Government of West Bengal with the exception of the offices of the Registrar of Assurances, Kolkata and Collector of the Stamp Revenue, Kolkata shall be closed on the days as specified at List II below which are not declared to be public holidays, during the year 2021.
3. Further, the Governor is pleased to declare that the days as specified at List III may be observed as Sectional Holidays in the year 2021 for the employees of different communities mentioned against the day.
List I (Public Holidays in 2021 under the N. I. Act)
|Birth Day of Swami Vivekananda||12th January, Tuesday|
|** Birth Day of Netaji||23rd January, Saturday|
|Republic Day||26th January, Tuesday|
|Saraswati Puja [Sree Panchami]||16th February, Tuesday|
|Good Friday||02nd April, Friday|
|Birth Day of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar||14th April, Wednesday|
|Bengali New Year’s Day (Nababarsha)||15th April, Thursday|
|** May Day||01st May, Saturday|
|Id-Ul-Fitar||4th May, Friday|
|Buddha Purnima||26th May, Wednesday|
|Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid)||21st July, Wednesday|
|Muharram||19th August, Thursday|
|** Birth Day of Gandhiji||02nd October, Saturday|
|Mahalaya||06th October, Wednesday|
|Durgapuja Saptami||12th October, Tuesday|
|Durgapuja Astami||13th October, Tuesday|
|Durgapuja Nabami||14th October, Tuesday|
|Durgapuja Dasami||15th October, Tuesday|
|Lakshmi Puja||20th October, Wednesday|
|Kali Puja||04th November, Thursday|
|Birth Day of Guru Nanak||19th November, Friday|
|** Christmas Day||25th December, Saturday|
Yearly Closing of Bank Account: 1st April, Thursday (for Banks only, Government Offices and Treasuries will remain open)
List-II (Holidays under the order of State Government in 2021)
|New Year’s Day||01st January, Friday|
|Additional Day of Saraswati Puja||17th February, Wednesday|
|Shivaratri||11th March, Thursday|
|Holi (Day after Doljatra)||29th March, Monday|
|** Additional day of Id-Ul-Fltar||15th May, Saturday|
|Rathayatra||12th July, Monday|
|Birthday of Poet Bhanu Bhakt (for Darjeeling & Kalimpong District only)||13th July, Tuesday|
|Janmastami||30th August, Monday|
|Additional day of Durgapuja Mahasasthi||11th October, Monday|
|Additional day in connection with Durgapuja||18th October, Monday|
|Fateha-Dwaz-Daham||19th October, Tuesday|
|Additional day in connection with Lakshmi Puja||21st October, Thursday|
|Additional day in connection with Lakshmi Puja||22nd October, Friday|
|Additional Day in connection with Kali Puja||5th November, Friday|
|** Bhatridwitya||06th November, Saturday|
|Day before Chhat Puja||09th November, Tuesday|
|Chhat Puja||10th November, Wednesday|
List III (Sectional Holidays in 2021)
|Sab-e-Barat||30th March, Tuesday (for Muslims only)|
|** Easter Saturday||03rd April, Saturday (for Christians only)|
|Hul Diwas||30th June, Wednesday [for Adivasi (Santal) only]|
|Karam Puja||To be notified later on.|
1. Sundays are holidays under the Negotiable Instrument Act.
2. In the year 2021, the following festivals/ occasions fall on Sundays which are public Holidays under N.I. Act and hence have not been included in lists:
|i) Doljatra||28th March, Sunday|
|ii) Mahavir Jayanti||25th April, Sunday|
|iii) Birthday of Rabindranath Tagore||09th May, Sunday|
|iv) Independence Day||15th August, Sunday|
3. The holiday with double asterisk marks i.e. (**) is applicable to those Government Offices only where Saturdays are not observed as full holiday.
4. General Instructions as laid down hereunder are to be followed in case of Muslim festivals.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED IN ALL TYPES OF HOLIDAYS INCLUDING HOLIDAYS FOR THE MUSLIM FESTIVALS
1) No substitute holiday shall be allowed if any of the festival – holidays initially notified subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festival falling on the same day.
2) If there is any change in the date of Id-Ul-Fitre, Id-Ud-Zoha, Muharram, Fateha-Duaz-Daham, Sab-e-Barat depending upon the sighting of the moon, holiday will be declared by a separate order for the date on which the festival would be actually observed in lieu of the date originally notified as holiday for this festival.
3) It may happen that the change of date of above mentioned occasions has to be notified at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement would be made through T.V./ A.I.R./ News Papers and Heads of Department/ Offices of the State Government may take action according to such announcements without waiting for formal order about the change of date.
By order of the Governor